1.The_____obtained in many fields of biological
science has been collected with meticulous care.
2. These new resources of power will enable us to
make cheap power available on a vast
3. The _____ interview in the magazine really give
readers an understanding of post communist reforms
and their effects on the changing face of Europe.
4. Amongst car manufacturers, our firm was the first
and has remained the most_____ to providing
ecologically responsible automobiles.
5. _____before the annual general meeting of the
shareholders he realized that a takeover was about
6. The government is persuaded that sea-lunched
missiles would _____greatly to world stability.
7. If drastic measures are not taken by powerful
international bodies, it is feared that the world
will soon _____its energy resources.
A) run out of
B) keep in line with
C) look through
D) be drawn forward
E) fall out with
8. I wasn't terribly impressed by his performance at
the interview since everything he said seemed_____.
A) taken by surprise
B) learned by rote
C) set out
D) smuggled in
E) fallen through
9. She has studied so hard for the exam that she's
_____to pass it.
10. She is completely_____. She does nothing she
11. He had always had a good opinion of himself, but
after the publication of his best-selling book he
became intolerably _____.
12. His authority and _____make him an outstanding
13. He is considered to be an excellent artist but I
consider his work to be quite_____.
14. Poisons must be kept in a place that is _____to
15. The position of monarch is not something that is
chosen by the citizens. It is_____.
E) passed over
16. A hundred years ago the chestnut _____a quarter
of the hardwood trees in Asia.
A) turned down
B) got through
C) made up
D) made out
E) put down
17. Evidence of racial bias in sentencing helped to
persuade certain States in America to ______capital
punishment in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
A) keep down
B) rule against
C) put out
D) point out
E) break through
18. Natural disasters have been defined as
ecological disruptions beyond the adjustment
capacity of a community and ____outside assistance.
A) stepping up
B) putting up with
C) look after
D) calling for
E) dealing with
19. It is hard for a lion, especially an
inexperienced one, to _____how to attack an animal
that is facing it.
A) figure out
B) keep away
C) rule out
D) fall back
E) run over
20. The river Danube rises in Germany and
_____through central Europe and into the Black Sea.
21. Anti-lock brakes (ABS) help you to maintain
steering control of your car even as braking on
22. _____populated, rural North shield is one of the
most unspoiled counties in England.
23. Today a very wide spectrum of biological
scientists are required both to improve the
biotechnology of the next millennium and to ensure
the ____of life on our planet.
24. She's the oldest person in the town, 97 years
old to be accurate, and has a _____word of advice
25. Our challenge is to _____our customers with the
best possible guidance and support, enabling them to
take the right decision at both strategic and